Stuffing Balls ...

07:38 Happiness Is Contagious People 0 Comments

This last Christmas I decided to break tradition , I love the taste of stuffing but to be honest I really don't enjoy the idea of it being all squishy.I prefer fragrant , warm slighty spicy, with a gentle crunch ...hmmm sounds more appetising to me.

After very little convincing ( my dad loves a savoury nibble, rubber arm and all that) I was given the 'go-ahead' to make stuffing balls for Christmas dinner. I must however say that these are by far not limited to accompanying a roast ... but in actual fact are rather versatile especially when you have a vegan guest dining at your home.

Here is a fun idea and alternative to stuffing that chicken or pork, rather serve your stuffing on the side!

** WARNING! These are addictive!

STUFFING BALLS
Preparing & Cooking time - 1hr
Serves 8

Ingredients:
For the filling:
1 box ready made stuffing mix (I love Ina Paarman's Sage & Onion mix)
2 Tbsp butter
1 Extra-large egg
1/2 cup of grated cheddar cheese

For the coating:
1 sachet fried chicken coating/cornflake crumbs or breadcrumbs ( I love Hinds Garlic & Herb or my own homemade crumbs)

Method:
For the stuffing mix:
In a bowl mix together the box stuffing , butter and cheese. Add 1 cup boiling water and mix well , once it is all combined add the egg and mix well ( do not add the egg before the boiling water as the boiling water will cook the egg and separate the mixture).


Roll into balls and then roll in the crumb coating , set these onto a baking tray.

Refrigerate for 20mins.

Deep fry until golden brown , place on paper towel to absorb excess oil and serve immediately.

Cooks notes -
These can be served as part of a roast dinner or alternatively as snacks with humus as a dipping sauce.

Oh yes , hide the left overs or else they will disappear...I all but had fisticuffs with my dad at Christmas *tee hee*

0 comments: